Tuesday 3 August 2010

One To Watch: Tara Starlet

I am a lover, not a fighter... well when it comes to fashion at least! I have been involved in ethical fashion behind the scenes for a few years now and it has changed the way I not only see fashion, but the world. It's not just a label, it's a lifestyle. The term 'ethical fashion' encompasses the very nature of clothing production, from the fair treatment of the cotton farmers to the working conditions of the people who make the clothes.




Many people still believe that ethical fashion equals drab, itch
y fabric and the word 'green' conjures up unattractive images of spaced out hippies kitted out in some rather unfortunate robes. "Yeah mannnn" indeed. Over the past two years especially I have seen ethical fashion really evolve, both in design and the materials designers are using. It has got to the stage where ethical is becoming the mainstream, which is fantastic news all round; the Primarni faithful are starting to see the light although there is still a very long way to go.




I am always on the lookout for exciting new ethical de
signers and brands and I am lucky enough to count some of the best around as my friends. Through my involvement with these designers and general interest in the subject, I have discovered some real gems on my travels. Today I want to introduce you to Tara Starlet, a 1940s and 1950s inspired vintage brand which reinvents old fabrics, buttons and trimmings to create glamorous clothes.




I love the fashion of the 1940s and 1950s, the time of Dior's New Look: it was the time of Make Do And Mend and effortlessly stylish women. Tara Starlet's creations bring the best parts of that era right into the 21st century while using ecological techniques that give their clothes a clear conscience.


See www.tarastarlet.com for more info

x

No comments:

Post a Comment